And sometimes, everything just fucking clicks!
Excuse my language… it just farted.
And all the time, the mind isn’t to be mistaken for the brain, except for those times we mistake the mind for the brain. In those instances, I suppose they can be the same thing. It is what you make it, right? At least that’s what Descartes would say, I think.
John Updike once said that he wasn’t smart enough to write crime novels.
According to Wikipedia, Updike received the following awards:
- 1959 Guggenheim Fellow
- 1959 National Institute of Arts and Letters Rosenthal Award
- 1964 National Book Award for Fiction
- 1965 Prix du Meilleur Livre Étranger
- 1966 O. Henry Prize
- 1981 National Book Critics Circle Award for Fiction
- 1982 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction
- 1982 National Book Award for Fiction (hardcover)[a]
- 1982 Union League Club Abraham Lincoln Award
- 1983 National Book Critics Circle Award for Criticism
- 1984 National Arts Club Medal of Honor
- 1987 St. Louis Literary Award
- 1987 Ambassador Book Award
- 1987 Helmerich Award, the Peggy V. Helmerich Distinguished Author Award is presented annually by the Tulsa Library Trust.
- 1988 PEN/Malamud Award
- 1989 National Medal of Arts
- 1990 National Book Critics Circle Award for Fiction
- 1991 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction
- 1991 O. Henry Prize
- 1992 Honorary Doctor of Letters from Harvard University
- 1995 William Dean Howells Medal of the American Academy of Arts and Letters
- 1995 Commandeur de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres
- 1997 Ambassador Book Award
- 1998 Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters from the National Book Foundation
- 2003 National Humanities Medal
- 2004 PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction
- 2005 Man Booker International Prize nominee
- 2006 Rea Award for the Short Story
- 2007 American Academy of Arts and Letters Gold Medal for Fiction
- 2008 Literary Review Bad Sex in Fiction Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2008 Jefferson Lecture
I hope, someday, to be dumb enough to win the Bad Sex in Fiction Lifetime Achievement Award.
Oh, or the Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters.
Today, I gave G a twenty-five dollar gift certificate to Outback Steakhouse.
Why drink the water when the Kool-Aid tastes better? Worried about cal0ries? Thermogenic diet pills do the trick.
Fear not… You aren’t lost on a generation; a generation is lost on you! You aren’t here yet.